Who's.Amung.Us

Tuesday, December 11, 2007

IKEA isn't all it's cracked up to be!

Yeah, IKEA is cool European styling and relatively low prices...but, you do have to put most of it together yourself -- and what's your time worth? I spent about 3 1/2 hours this evening putting together two BREKKE beds. They're cool...B U T ! ! There is alot of screwing to get them together...and not only was I screwing together the beds...but, IKEA was screwing me too!

Both sets of beds came with a bag of all the hardware (screws, wheels, etc.) to put the beds together -- EXCEPT -- neither bag contained enough parts to make two complete beds!!

I followed the directions to the letter on the first bed which means I checked all the inventory and counted every screw -- according to the manual, I had everything I needed. I get to the last step, screw the caster wheels to the bottom of the drawers and guess what??? The screws listed in the drawings were not part of the parts check on page 3 of the manual...And, I've used up all the screws they gave me! Oh yeah, I also was given one completely thread-less screw for putting together the drawers...so, one drawer only got 3 screws instead of 4.

Oh, well! This must be a coincidence I say and we pop open the next set of BREKKE parts -- Wow! There are all the necessary screws for a complete installation of caster wheels plus three extra screws. There where two other sets of screws that had an extra -- so, I was able to finish that last drawer from the 1st bed too.

This time, however, I built the drawers first...because I had luckily bought an IKEA package of screws from their window treatment department and noticed that I had enough screws from that...combined with the caster wheel screws of the second bed...to get all the wheels installed on all the drawers. So, I got that done and I felt much better...until!!

I began putting the 2nd bed frame together and realize I'm short five screws for the mattress rails!! What!! Son-of-a!!! Curse You IKEAAAAA!

I made do with a few extra, old, and a little rusty set of screws I had in the garage.

Man, that sucked.

I will think twice about my next IKEA purchase. They will be getting a letter from me.

1 comment:

Katie said...

My favorite is when IKEA directions are in some other language and all you have to go off of is the drawings. That's the best! We've never bought a bed or big furniture from there.